|
16 HARBOURVIEW ROAD |
Newfoundland Tourism Region : Central
Smith's Harbour: Located on the northwest side of Green Bay (ie., the western extremity of Notre Dame Bay), the harbour is sheltered by John Smith Island. Originally called John Smith's Harbour, and now just Smith's Harbour, it was most likely named after an early settler, who obviously had the very "original" name, that of John Smith!
It is a small community of 131, down 10.3% from the 146 in 2011. The harbour has a peculiar shape - that of a narrow V.
Wiltondale: Located at the junction of the Viking Trail and route 431, which connects the south side of Bonne Bay to the highway, about 30 km (18.6 mi) northwest of Deer Lake, Wiltondale was named after its first setter, Norman Wilton. He moved to the area in 1927 from Woody Point.
Logging has always been the town's major industry. Today the population is recorded as being 40 residents.
Smith's Harbour. Located east of Burlington, on the coast, Smith's Harbour, on John Smith Island, was settled in the 1880s. The first settlers were the Smiths, followed by the Hounsells, the Penneys, the Kellys, Clarks, and the Squires.
Being the first the Smith's were the family that was honoured by the town taking their name. The CNL website presents so much insight to what life was like in the 19th and early 20th centuries it is copied for your enjoyment:
Everyone raised their own animals for meat, raised hens for eggs, caught birds to cat, and grew their own vegetables. The first religion was Church of England.
Mr. Pittman would walk from Tilt Cove in snow shoes about ninety-two years ago to hold services in Levoy Shiner's House. Then a Methodist Church was built approximately seventy-five years ago.
There was also a Pentecostal Church built about thirty-five years ago with Pastor Eric Goudie being the first preacher.
In the 1900's, school was carried on in Mr. Clark's house which was located on the southwest side of Smith's Harbour.
From 1917 to 1942 school was carried on in the church with Mary Burry as the teacher, then there was a new one room school built by Mr. Billy Bartlett, a resident of Burlington and the teacher there for a while was Lillian Starkes.
This school was also used for Christmas concerts and Times [a "time" being defined in the DNLE as "a party or celebration, especially a communal gathering with dancing, entertainment, etc.]
In 1965, the community first got electricity through diesel motor, but it is now changed so that it is received through NF and Labrador Power. In 1968 telephone services was also supplied.
There were two sawmills in Smith's Harbour in the 1930's, one owned by Mr. Thomas Squires and the other by Mr. Albert Lush, one sawmill was operated with a gas motor and the other was by steam.
Mr. Israel Hounsell was a boat builder, he built a number of boats. He also did some coopering (making barrels to pack fish and things in to be exported). There were a few men employed.
Fishing was one of the main industries, fish was caught and dried then shipped to Twillingate, until the later years, it was then shipped to Nipper's Harbour.
There were three stores in Smith's Harbour, where you could go and purchase nearly anything you wanted. The store owners would row to Twillingate in trap skiffs and bring back a load of supplies.
Mr. Albert Lush had a passenger boat to carry people to Twillingate when they needed medical attention. Babies were born at home by midwives, Annie Lush and Canella Lush.
A doctor's boat would come into the area once a year for x-rays and medical examinations, until the Cottage Hospital opened in Springdale, then people
went there.
Used with permission from "Uncovering the Origin of 1001 Unique Place Names in Newfoundland and Labrador" 2021 Jennifer Leigh Hill
Address of this page: http://nl.ruralroutes.com/SmithsHarbour
Quick Search

